- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup beer (preferably a lager or ale with a mild flavor)
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Croutons or toasted bread cubes, for serving
1. Prepare the Vegetables:
- In a large soup pot, melt the unsalted butter over medium heat. Add finely chopped onion, celery, and carrot. Sauté the vegetables until they are soft and the onions become translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add minced garlic and continue sautéing for another minute until fragrant.
2. Create the Roux:
- Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the sautéed vegetables, stirring constantly to create a smooth paste, also known as a roux. Continue cooking the roux for 2-3 minutes, allowing it to develop a slightly golden color. This step will help thicken the soup.
3. Add Milk and Broth:
- Slowly pour in the whole milk while stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Gradually add the chicken or vegetable broth, stirring to combine the ingredients. Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and becomes velvety.
4. Incorporate Beer and Spices:
- Pour in the beer, stirring well to combine. The beer adds depth and a subtle bitterness to the soup. Add dry mustard powder and cayenne pepper for a hint of warmth and spice. Season with salt and black pepper according to your taste preferences. Allow the soup to simmer over low heat, allowing the flavors to meld together, for about 10-15 minutes.
5. Add Shredded Cheese:
- Gradually add the shredded sharp cheddar cheese to the simmering soup. Stir continuously in a figure-eight motion until the cheese is completely melted and incorporated into the soup. The soup should have a smooth and creamy consistency.
6. Garnish and Serve:
- Ladle the rich and velvety Ahwahnee's Famous Beer & Cheese Soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with chopped fresh chives for a burst of color and flavor. Serve the soup hot, accompanied by croutons or toasted bread cubes on the side.
7. Enjoy the Gourmet Experience:
- Dive into the indulgent flavors of Ahwahnee's Famous Beer & Cheese Soup. Each spoonful offers a luxurious blend of sharp cheddar cheese, the subtle bitterness of beer, and the warmth of spices. The creamy texture and savory notes make this soup a gourmet experience that tantalizes the taste buds and provides comfort in every bite.
Ahwahnee's Famous Beer & Cheese Soup is not just a soup; it's a culinary journey that transports you to the heart of gourmet cuisine. Whether you're enjoying it as a starter for a special dinner or savoring it on a cozy evening at home, this soup is sure to elevate your dining experience. So, embrace the decadence, relish the flavors, and treat yourself to the exquisite delight of Ahwahnee's Famous Beer & Cheese Soup. Bon appétit!
Chef Jason Hill shows you how to make a delicious beer and cheese soup recipe from the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite in this episode of "Chef Tips."
Though broccoli cheese soup and potato cheese soup recipes are popular, this creamy beer and cheese soup recipe is not to be missed. The beer cheese soup recipe uses premium cheddar cheese and pale ale for its base, and is topped with chive oil and homemade croutons.
LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK http://www.Facebook.com/ChefTips FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER https://twitter.com/ChefTips
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM http://instagram.com/ChefTips